Friday, August 28, 2009

A Man and His Dog

So Michael Vick is officially back. I don't care too much either way really. What bothers me is that some people don't want him back in the game. No, its not that I think he deserves a chance to play again. Its that hes far from the worst athlete out there. While there wasn't much protest at his first preseason game, there has been plenty in and out of the media voicing their opinion that he should not be playing. Okay, if that is what you think, then how about these names: Plaxico Burress, Chris Henry, Adam Jones, Tank Johnson, Latrell Sprewell, Ron Artest, Donte' Stallworth and well this list could go on for awhile.

While some of the names mentioned and not mentioned have had their critics that wanted them out of their sports, none have had the amount Vick has had. And besides what Burress will probably serve, Vick has spent more time in jail than I think all of them combined, though I could be wrong. Vick did commit a crime true, and what most hate him for is how the dogs suffered, but all of these other guys have commited crimes against humans, or put humans in danger with their acts. Artest is on video beating the crap out of people, but these days hes just that slightly "odd" guy that you "might" not want on your team. Stallworth messed up and killed someone, sure unintentionally, but he will be back next year and not much will be said about it.

The last person I want to bring up is Steve McNair. Everyone loved this guy. Great player, great guy, great teammate, you get the idea. Well sadly hes murdered... by his girlfriend. Did I mention he was married at the time, with kids? Oh, that's okay, no one knew about it til he died, and he was such a great guy after all. Well lets say this exact thing happens to Vick 10 years from now. His career ends up well, plays awhile longer and retires. He gets married, has a couple of kids. Then he ends up like McNair. Does he get the same treatment? No, he will have his name stomped in to the ground for cheating on his wife. It might seem fair given his past, but really what past did McNair have with us? He just happened to make it through his career with no one finding out he was cheating or doing anything else.

For me it doesnt matter, I watch the games and have teams and players I like and dislike. Vick, McNair, and most of the rest are the same to me. I didnt like the Falcons or the Titans, neither of them ended up being that great a guy, and neither of them matter when I play fantasy this year. I just wish the media, and the crazy people that throw fits about things, at least gave them all equal treatment for their sins, or even better, just give up bothering with it since they are all going to be playing anyways.

No comments:

Post a Comment